Pistachio cream and chocolate pizza is not maybe the first suggestion you get when asking in a pizzeria which pizza to order, but it is definitely one you want to try – and make yourself. Sweet pizzas are actually quite a common dish in Italy that can be enjoyed for snack or dessert. You make it with normal pizza dough and just top it with sweet stuff. The most common sweet pizza is made with Nutella, but why not try other toppings too! Pistachio cream and chocolate pizza is definitely a great alternative.
How did we come up with it?
Some months ago we ordered a pistachio cream jar from an online store. We had never eaten pistachio cream and we were super excited about trying it out. The product was quite pricey, as it is not very common to find, so better be good!
On a Sunday we were organizing a family lunch and we were uncertain about the dessert. A sweet pizza is always a risk and the most common is definitely with Nutella. Unfortunately, we did not have it that day so we needed to come up with a new topping.
We decided then to use our pistachio cream but to balance the flavor, we added chocolate and some chopped nuts on that. The result was a delicious pistachio cream and chocolate pizza.
Dough and ingredients for a perfect pistachio cream and chocolate pizza
To make your dough, you will have to follow our Neapolitan pizza recipe. Because you use the same dough to make this as you would use for a normal savory pizza, one great idea is to make pizzas for lunch or dinner and save one piece of dough for a sweet dessert pizza! That way you will have a sweet pizza to top off your meal with a nice dessert.
In addition to the dough, you won’t need many ingredients. As the name suggests, pistachio cream and chocolate pizza needs some sweet pistachio cream on it! Pistachio cream mostly contains pistachios, milk, and sugar. Sometimes white chocolate is also added. It is somewhat pricey and it is not always easy to find. We bought ours online. If you can’t find it anywhere, it is possible to make it yourself. As for the amount of pistachio cream per pizza, it is really up to you! The goal is to cover the entire pizza but you decide how thick the layer is.
After having spread the pistachio cream on the pizza, just add some melted chocolate and chopped nuts. Both the chocolate and nuts can be any type you want. Of course with pistachio cream an obvious choice is chopped pistachios but almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts work well too. For the chocolate, you can’t go wrong with milk chocolate.
Pistachio cream and chocolate pizza
- pizza dough see the link in the instructions
- pistachio cream
- chocolate of your choice
- chopped nuts pistachios or any other nut of your choice
- Prepare the pizza dough, following the recipe of our Margherita pizza here. That recipe makes six pizzas, so be sure to make the right amount of dough for your needs. For this recipe, one pizza is enough for four people to serve a generous slice each.
- When the dough is ready to be used, preheat the oven to 250-275°C.
- Place some flour on a plate, grab a ball of dough and dip both sides of it in flour. Place onto a baking paper and gently press the dough with your fingers from the center towards the edges. Continue until the base is very thin but leave some thicker crust.
- Drizzle some oil on the pizza and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, until the pizza looks cooked from the crust. While the pizza is cooking, melt some chocolate (50g per pizza).
- Spread pistachio cream to cover the entire pizza. Add the melted chocolate and the chopped nuts. Serve while warm.
- You can change the amount of chocolate and pistachio cream based on your preferences, there is not one right amount!
Nutritional information shall not be used for medical reasons.