Imagine spending a Sunday home with your family watching a movie. After an intense week of working or studying, you finally find the right moment to ease your tension and enjoy your free time.
No way you can do without a proper snack plan: popcorn, chips, maybe candies. Yes, they are a classic, but let’s say you want something really sweet and special, and you wonder what that can be: the answer is salted caramel chocolate brownies!
They are perfect for many occasions: either for a Sunday movie with your family or for a party, or for a dessert after lunch. They fit each purpose. At least once, they are worth a try.
First of all, we love salted caramel and this recipe will contain not only homemade salted caramel on top of them but also salty toffee crunch milk chocolate in the batter. So, we wish you love it too! But let’s go in order. Making brownies is not difficult, but as for every recipe, you will need to follow the steps carefully.
The ingredients are quite easy to find. A note about the salty toffee crunch chocolate is that we used the one made by Fazer, available here. The reason we choose Fazer is that the taste is great, the amount of sugar is slightly less than most of their competitors and it does not feel too sugary when eaten.
Concerning the nuts in the recipe, we used almonds but you are free to change them to anything you prefer. Of course, if you are not a fan of nuts (really?!?), you can take them off the list of ingredients completely.
A very important aspect of this recipe is the homemade salted caramel. It is very much the ingredient for this recipe and will make your salted caramel brownies delicious, creating a perfect contrast between the sweetness of the chocolate and the saltiness in the caramel. You can also sparkle some coarse salt on top of the caramel, as suggested in the recipe.
Homemade salted caramel is super easy to make, it takes only ten minutes, and can be stored in the refrigerator for weeks! That way you will have them ready for any occasion that requires some extra sweetness.
Tips for cooking
We are firm believers of the learn by doing method and here we have a few tips collected after making these salted caramel brownies for the first time. With this amount, we needed to use two cooking pans, a bigger one of 20x30cm and a small one of 10×15 cm. The ideal size of the baking pan would be around 24×32 cm.
Based on your pan, you might need to reduce the amounts of the recipe slightly or use two pans. Remember that pouring more batter into a smaller pan will increase the baking time. No worries if you make more and you need more pans, as you can always freeze the brownies you don’t eat.
Salted caramel chocolate brownies are delicious but you may not want to exceed with the caramel on top of the brownies. Caramel is of course very sweet, even when there is salt in it! An excessive amount will make your brownies heavier and with a stronger taste than needed. Eating them will not be a pleasure in this case. On the other side, the right amount of caramel will make your salted caramel brownies just perfect: the exact way we want them!
A third suggestion is about the size of the brownies. As you might notice from the ingredients, these brownies are sweet and rather heavy. The combination of chocolate and caramel is delicious but definitely not light. For this reason, we recommend you cut small slices when serving. Better to take another slice when finished than feeling too full to enjoy the food!
How to store them
You can keep your salted caramel chocolate brownies at room temperature for a couple of days. Be sure to keep them in an airtight container, so that they won’t dry out while there. Alternatively, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. Here as well, close them into a container properly, in order not to get any smell from other foods. If you wish, you can freeze them for up to three months.
When you need to serve them, take them out of the freezer, let them thaw overnight, and heat them up. They will still taste great if stored properly!
Salted caramel chocolate brownies
- 175 grams butter
- 180 grams chopped chocolate
- 110 grams salty caramel chocolate
- 400 grams sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 85 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 125 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120 grams chopped nuts
- 240 milliliters salted caramel see our recipe for the caramel
- coarse salt to sprinkle on top optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the butter and 60 grams of the normal chopped chocolate. Melt in the microwave (30 seconds per time) or in a pot and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the mix into a large bowl. Whisk in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, all the remaining chocolate and nuts. Fold the ingredients into the batter until smooth and thick.
- Spread the batter into a 24-32 cm baking pan, lined with baking paper. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- When baked through, take the brownies from the oven and pour the salted caramel on top of the hot brownies. Preferably, use caramel that has had time to cool a bit. Sprinkle some coarse salt on top (optional).
- Let the brownies cool before cutting them. Cut them into squares and enjoy!
- We used salty caramel chocolate in addition to the normal chocolate. You can also replace this by just using the same normal chocolate above.
- For the nuts, you can use the ones you prefer, almonds, pecans, walnuts etc.
You can check if the brownies are done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the brownies. If the batter is still wet, they aren’t done yet.
Nutritional information shall not be used for medical reasons.