Smoked salmon carpaccio with fennel and orange juice is a fantastic idea for a special starter. Whether you want to surprise your guests for a dinner over or if you plan a usual starter for your holidays, this dish will suit the need.
What is carpaccio?
Carpaccio is intended as any meat or fish dish where the key ingredient is sliced and served after seasoning. Originally, the carpaccio was intended only as of the beef dish. The invention dates back to 1950 by Giuseppe Cipriani from Harry’s Bar in Venice. The beef was served with olive oil, lemon, and Parmesan cheese or white truffle.
The term became popular during the second half of the 20th century and now, as mentioned, it includes meat or fish that are sliced and served with different ingredients.
The ingredients for this salmon carpaccio
Making this dish is pretty straightforward. Based on the season and your location, the price of salmon and pomegranate may vary, but it does not require many ingredients so the price will stay relatively low.
- Cold smoked salmon – that can be replaced with sliced fresh salmon or gravlax if you prefer
- Pomegranate seeds – you will need a handful of these, so a small one will do
- Orange – a medium-sized orange will do. If you wish, you can replace with lemon for the seasoning
- Fennel – a small one is enough, you will just need some slices
- Oil – we highly recommend extra virgin olive oil
- Slices of lemon to decorate
What to serve with it?
This salmon carpaccio appetizer is fine on its own. It does not necessarily need to be served with some other foods. If you prefer, you can serve it with some bread. In particular, we would recommend toasted slices of bread, half cut.
Fresh salmon or smoked cold salmon?
For this recipe, we used cold smoked salmon. It is pretty easy to make and it will save you plenty of time because it comes in the package already sliced, so you will only need to season it. Clearly, you can use fresh salmon as well. In this case you will need a good quality piece of fresh salmon and skills to cut it into thin slices but the result will be delicious. Another great option without the smokey taste would be the Nordic gravlax or graavilohi, in Finnish.
Can I make it in advance?
Yes, you can make this dish in advance. It can stay in the fridge for a couple of days.
Smoked salmon carpaccio with fennel and orange juice
- 200 grams cold smoked salmon
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt
- Squeeze the orange and mix the juice with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Wash the fennel, cut it into very thin slices, and keep some for later on.
- Let the fennel marinate in the orange juice for around 20-25 minutes.
- Place some fennel on a plate, add the slices of salmon, and cover in orange juice.
- Decorate with the pomegranate seeds and some more fennel slices.
- Let the orange juice and olive marinate in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- You can use fresh or cold smoked salmon, or gravlax.
- This dish is fast and perfect for any occasion.
Nutritional information shall not be used for medical reasons.