Do you know the exact moment where your fridge is semi-empty but you need to make something from what you have for dinner? This is how we came up with roasted feta with honey. We had a block of feta in the fridge but not much else to eat with it. You start googling around for the perfect fast-to-make and super delicious recipe. And here you have one of those!
As you can easily imagine, making this recipe is extremely easy and cheap. You only need three main ingredients: feta, honey, and oil. You can also use thyme or rosemary on top to give a final touch to it and to improve the flavor.
The secret for perfect roasted feta with honey
The key to roasted feta with honey is the soft consistency of the cheese and the slightly crunchy top. You will achieve this by first cooking the feta in the oven for some minutes, then adding the honey and roasting it over high heat with the oven’s grill setting.
There are two main things you have to pay attention to when making this recipe: the first thing is the first part of cooking because the feta needs to become soft but cannot become too soft/chewy (otherwise, this will ruin the flavor and the consistency), and the second very important thing is to not leave the feta in the oven for too long after adding the honey. It needs to become brown but it must not burn. When some of the edges of the feta block are slightly burnt, it’s time to take it out of the oven. The feta should look like in the picture of this recipe.
With these two basic suggestions, you will have perfect roasted feta with honey. Also, as a third small tip, when turning the oven to grill, increase the temperature of the oven (to around 250° – 275° C). The oven doesn’t need to reach these temperatures in the short time you prepare the feta, but increasing the heat is important to give the oven some extra heat for roasting.
How to serve it
This simple dish can be served with bread, preferably crunchy and toasted or pita. We usually eat it with and without bread. Adding cherry tomatoes to the dish is also recommended. It also works great with a side salad.
Roasted feta with honey
- Ove-to-table dish
- 200 grams greek feta
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- thyme / rosmarine
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the feta in an oven-to-table dish.
- Cover the surface of the feta block with oil and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- When done, turn the oven to grill function and increase the heat significantly (to about 250° -275° C). No need to wait for the oven to reach these temperatures.
- Spread the honey on the feta. Sprinkle with some thyme or rosemary.
- Place the feta back in the oven, this time as close to the top as possible. Cook until the top of the cheese starts to become brown. Keep checking every 1-2 minutes as the feta burns easily at this point.
- Take out of the oven and let cool enough to transfer onto a plate. Serve with the side dishes of your choice.
- Use aluminum foil when placing the feta in the oven so that it will be easier to transfer it onto a surface.
The cheese has to be soft but not melted when it comes out of the oven.
Use the grill function that brings the most heating capacity from the top part of the oven.
If your honey is thick, put it in the microwave for some seconds.
Nutritional information shall not be used for medical reasons.